Department of Health and Exercise Science
Student Presentations at Professional and Organizational Venues
As of May 2012, 223 research projects (representing 348 students) presented at professional/organizational meetings.
2012 HES Research Presentations
- National Conference on Undergraduate research (NCUR), Weber State University, Ogden, Utah, March 29 to 31
- Northland Chapter of American College of Sports Medicine (NACSM), St. Katherine’s College, Mpls, March 30
- Minnesota Athletic Training Association Spring Meeting (MATA), Alexandria, MN, April 28.
- National American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting (ACSM), San Francisco, CA, June 3.
2012 (18 studies representing 29 students):
- Leah E. Atz and Yer Yang (Stephanie Otto) Effects of different stretching methods on soccer kick performance. IRB 1011-0132. NACSM
- Kelli M. Buerman (Kyle Momsen) The effect of cryotherapy on the treamtmtnet of delayed onset of muscle soreness. IRB 1112-0054. NCUR
- Katie M. Burke and Courtney Farland (Bruce Van Duser) Effects of core strength on standing balance balance. IRB 1011-0136. NCUR
- Osa M. Donovan and Brittany L. Hodkinson (Bruce Van Duser) Comparison of traditional resistance training and manual resistance training on the United States Army physical fitness APFT tests. IRB 1112-0052. NCUR
- Katherine M. Eiden and Amelia M. Schmidt (Kent Kalm) The effects of barefoot strength training on prevention of athletic injury and performance for long distance runners. IRB 1011-0132. NCUR
- Jason M. Ek (Kyle Momsen, AT Program Director) Effect of power balance wrist bands on strength, vertical jump, hamstring flexibility and balance. IRB 1011-0139. NACSM
- Robert Elwell (Aaron Banks) Advocacy patterns in health and physical education. NCUR.
- Anika Ferber (Kyle Momsen) Physiological effects of running barefoot versus shod in endurance athletes at a high intensity. IRB 1112-0053. NCUR
- Kelsey E. Florian and Amanda M. Hanna (Bruce Van Duser) Effects of plyometric training on vertical jump performance female collegiate volleyball athletes. IRB 1011-0127. NCUR
- Nicole M. Hansen and Shannon R. Tschida (Jon L. Carlson) Comparison of traditional and modified pullout techniques on breaststoke swim performance. IRB 1112-0051. NCUR
- Kyle J. Hunt and Meagan L. Houg (Stephanie Otto) Physical effect and psychological effects of music during bench press exercise. IRB 1011-0124. NCUR
- Jake R. Kemna and Stacy L. Backstrom (Kent Kalm) Effect of muscle compression in the legs of swimmers and their performance in a fifty-yard sprint swim. IRB 1011-0141. NCUR
- Kelly Maloney and Sandra Walker (Stephanie) Treadmill versus elliptical exercise on calcaneal stiffness index among college women. IRB 0111-0004. ACSM. Also presented in 2011 at the NACSM meeting, St. Cloud State University.
- Brynne E. Retzlaff and Alexander C. Carpenter – (Kent Kalm) Effects of ankle taping on vertical jump and balance performance in female collegiate volleyball athletes. IRB 1011-0129. NCUR
- Erica J. Roelofs and Raquel L. Davis – (Stephanie Otto) Effect of Ab Cicle Pro machine on abdominal muscular endurance and girt and body composition. IRB 1011-0122. NACSM
- Rachel A. Rongstad and Landon B. Shroyer – (Bruce Van Duser) Effect of power training on vertical jump and sprint performance in softball athletes. IRB 1011-0126. NCUR
- Christine L. Roering -(Kyle Momsen,) Effects of petrissag massage, effleurage massage and static stretching on long term plantar flexion range of motion. IRB 1112-0042. NCUR
- Kayla L. Schrupp – (Bruce Van Duser) Does ankle taping influence plantar flexion, dorsi-flexipn and balance performance. IRB 1112-0038. NCUR