Exercise 1.4 - Measuring Depth
- Prepared slide with three colored, crossed threads
- Place a slide containing three colored and crossed
threads on the microscope stage.
- Determine the width (diameter) of the threads using the
procedures from Exercise 1.3.
- Locate a spot where all three threads cross each other
at the same point. Use the fine focus control to focus first
on the lowermost thread, then the middle thread and finally,
the uppermost thread. List the order of the threads from the
top to the bottom, by indicating their color.
- Focus on the top of the uppermost thread. Note the scale
markings on the fine focus knob and record the calibrated
reading directly from the fine focus control. Carefully
rotate the fine focus and stop when the microscope is just
focused on the upper edge of the next thread. Record the
reading from the focus control below. The difference between
the two readings is the depth (thickness) of the upper
Return to Table of Contents
Cell Biology Laboratory Manual
Dr. William H. Heidcamp, Biology Department, Gustavus Adolphus College,
St. Peter, MN 56082 -- firstname.lastname@example.org