Exercise 12.9 - Eukaryote Growth Dynamics
Suspension cultures set up from Exercise 12.8
Sterile transfer pipettes
Materials for viability counting (Exercise 12.7)
- After 12 hours, aseptically remove 0.1 ml from each of the
three cultures, add 0.1 ml of trypan blue and count the total
number of cells and the number of blue cells. Compute the number
of viable cells/ml.
- After 24 hours (from the time of seeding), repeat step 1.
- Continue to repeat step 1 at 24 hour periods (i.e. daily)
until there is no change in the number of cells/ml of culture.
- Plot cell concentration on a log scale vs time of culture.
Identify and label the Lag, Log and Plateau phases for your
- Select a period of time during the Log Phase and compute the
doubling time for your culture. That is, the time required during
the Log Phase to exactly double the number of cells/ml.
to Table of Contents
Cell Biology Laboratory Manual
Dr. William H. Heidcamp, Biology Department, Gustavus Adolphus College,
St. Peter, MN 56082 -- firstname.lastname@example.org