Exercise 9.7 - TEM Visualization of Microtubules
- Coated grid for TEM
- 0.1 M ammonium acetate
- 5% ethanol saturated uranyl acetate
- Transmission electron microscope
- At the conclusion of a 37° C incubation from Exercise 9.6, remove one drop (approximately 20 microliters) of the
extract, place it on a collodion or formvar and carbon-coated EM
grid, and allow it to remain for about 20-30 seconds.
- Rinse the grid carefully with 0.1 M ammonium acetate, and
float the grid upside down on a drop of 5% uranyl acetate for 15
minutes. Rinse the grid with water, blot all excess fluids from
the grid, and allow it to air dry.
- Examine the stained grid in a transmission electron
- Draw or photograph your observations -- calculate all
appropriate dimensions (length, diameter) of the formed tubules.
to Table of Contents
Cell Biology Laboratory Manual
Dr. William H. Heidcamp, Biology Department, Gustavus Adolphus College,
St. Peter, MN 56082 -- firstname.lastname@example.org