David Fienen is Emeritus Professor of Music at Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, MN. He retired in 2011 after 38 years as Cantor at Christ Chapel and Professor of Music. Most recently, he served for two years (2009-2011) as Provost and Dean of the College, having previously been Dean of Faculty/Vice President for Academic Affairs (2000-2001), and Associate Dean of the College from (1993-1996). He also served the College as Director of General Education ( 2002- 2007), Chair of the Faculty Senate as well as chair or member of several other standing committees of the faculty.
Chair of the Music Department (1983-1986 and 2005-2009) and the Edgar F. and Ethel Johnson Professor of Fine Arts (2003-2009), he holds degrees from Indiana University, Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, and the University of Minnesota, and continues his active performance career in the United States and Europe. In addition to a solo recital tour through North Germany and Berlin, he has toured Central Europe with both the Gustavus Brass Ensembles (1989) and the Gustavus Wind Orchestra (1994, 2006, 2010, and will again in 2014). In June 1990, he was an artist/fellow with the Bach Aria Festival and Institute at Stony Brook, N.Y. Since 1988 he has been the keyboardist and occasional soloist with the Mankato Symphony Orchestra, was Assistant Conductor of the Mankato-based choral group Musicorum during fall 1999, and for several years was the performance accompanist for both Musicorum and the St. Peter Choral Society. In July 2004, he played an Orgelvesper at St. Jacobi in Lübeck, Germany, and an organ recital at the Schlosskirche in Lutherstadt Wittenberg, Germany.He now collaborates with the JUSTHREE BRASS trio, serves as a frequent substitute organist for area churches, as accompanist for Musicorum, and is the Volunteer Archivist for First Lutheran Church in St. Peter.
He was secretary/treasurer of the Association of Lutheran Church Musicians (2001-2005), having previously served as founding president of Region III (1986-1988), and as treasurer for ALCM 1993 and 1995 biennial conferences. From 1983 to 1986 he was on the executive board of the Twin Cities chapter of the American Guild of Organists, and from 1995 to 1997 he was on the board of directors and chair of the finance committee of The Collaboration for the Advancement of College Teaching and Learning.
Dr. Fienen has recorded Hymns and Fanfares (with Gustavus Brass Ensembles) and Let Us Adore Him; Favorite Swedish Hymns; and Favorite Norwegian Hymns (with the Gustavus Choir), which are available from the Book Mark at Gustavus Adolphus College. He also appears as organ or harpsichord soloist and accompanist on three CDs produced by Musicorum. His current research is focused on the life and works of Jan Bender.
"Jan Bender; Church Musician of the 20th Century", published in Perspectives on Organ Playing and Musical Interpretation; A Festschrift for Heinrich Fleischer at 90 (available from the Organ Historical Society).
The Master Organ Works of Jan Bender; A Commemorative Edition, 5 volumes, edited by David Fienen. St. Louis, Concordia Publishing House, 2005.
- October 20, 2013, 8:30 & 10:30 AM - organist, University Lutheran Church of Hope, 601 13th Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN
- October 27, 2013, 8:00 & 10:30 AM - organist, Immanuel Lutheran Church, 104 Snelling Avenue South, Saint Paul, MN
- December 7, 2013 - accompanist - Musicorum, Chapel of Our Lady of Good Counsel, Mankato, MN
- January, 2014 - organist/instructor, Gustavus Wind Orchestra Central Europe Tour - Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary, Austria
- April 26, 2014 - accompanist - Musicorum, Chapel of Our Lady of Good Counsel, Mankato, MN
- August 18, 2013, 9:30 AM - organist, with JUSTHREE BRASS trio - House of Prayer Lutheran Church, 7625 Chicago Ave. S., Minneapolis, MN
- August 4, 2013, 9:00 AM - organist - First Lutheran Church, 1114 Traverse Rd., St. Peter, MN
- July 28, 2013, 9:30 AM - organist - Union Presbyterian Church, 730 South Third Street, St. Peter, MN
- July 24, 2013, 12:00 PM - organ recital - Peace Lutheran Church, 400 Franklin Street SW, Hutchinson, MN 55350 (program)
- July 21, 2013, 9:30 AM - organist - Union Presbyterian Church, 730 South Third Street, St. Peter, MN
- July 14, 2013, 9:30 AM - organist - Mt. Olive Lutheran Church, 3045 Chicago Ave S, Minneapolis, MN
- July 9, 2013, 12:10 PM - organ recital - Grace Lutheran Church, 320 E. Main St, Mankato, MN (program) (poster)
- July 7, 2013, 9:00 & 10:30 AM - organist, with JUSTHREE BRASS trio - Mount Calvary Lutheran Church, 301 County Road 19, Excelsior, MN
- June 25, 2013, 12:15 PM - organ recital - Trinity Lutheran Church, 222 6th Ave SW, Rochester, MN (program)
- June 22, 2013, 10:00 AM - organist/pianist, with JUSTHREE BRASS trio - Gramercy Park Cooperative, 6711 Lake Shore Drive, Richfield, MN (program)
- June 19, 2013, 7:00 PM - organist/pianist, with JUSTHREE BRASS trio - Becketwood Senior Living, 4300 W River Pkwy Minneapolis, MN
- May 31, 2013, 5:30 PM - organist - Memorial Service for GAC class of '68 - Christ Chapel, Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, MN
- May 12, 2013 , 8:30 & 10:30 AM - organist, First Lutheran Church, 1114 Traverse Rd., St. Peter, MN (also conduct choir rehearsal between services)
- April 12, 2013, 10:00 AM - homilist, Christ Chapel, Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, MN
- March 29, 2013, 12:15 PM - organist, "Music for Meditation," First Lutheran Church, 1114 Traverse Road, St. Peter, MN
- March 16, 2013, 4:00 PM - organist, "Before Bach's Birthday Bash," St. Michael's Lutheran Church, Roseville, MN
- March 10, 2013, 4:00 PM - organist/pianist, with JUSTHREE BRASS trio - First Lutheran Church, St. Peter, MN
- March 3, 2013, 3:00 PM - organist/pianist, with JUSTHREE BRASS trio - Congregational Church, Rochester, MN
- February 24, 2013, 9:30 AM - Presentation: " Hymnology 101"- Adult Forum, Trinity Lutheran Church, St. Peter, MN
- January 13, 2013, 8:30 & 10:30 AM - organist, First Lutheran Church, St. Peter, MN
- November 4, 2012 - presentation on Jan Bender - for All Saints Sunday - First Lutheran Church, St. Peter, MN.
- October 30, 2012, 2:00PM - keyboardist, with JUSTHREE BRASS trio - Nine Mile Creek Senior Living Facility, Bloomington, MN.
- October 20, 2012 - pianist (Chopin Nocturne in f minor), onboard talent show - Viking Rurik, on Lake Ladoga, Russia.
- September 30, 2012, 4:00PM - organ recital - First Lutheran Church, St. Peter, MN.
- August 19, 2012, 9:00 AM - guest organist, with Mark Lammers, trombone - First Lutheran Church, St. Peter, MN
- July 15, 2012 - guest organist, with Mark Lammers, trombone - Mt. Olive Lutheran Church, Minneapolis, MN
- July 1, 2012 - organist with JUSTHREE BRASS trio - House of Prayer Lutheran Church, Minneapolis, MN, 9:30AM.
- June 17, 2012 - guest organist - Union Congregational United Church of Christ, St. Louis Park, MN, 10:00AM.
- June 15, 2012 - plenary: "A Lutheran Perspective on Church Music; Yesterday and Today" - ALCM Region III Conference - Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, MN.
- April 29, 2012 - guest organist - Christ Chapel, Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, MN.
- April 15, 2012 - guest organist - Mt. Olive Lutheran Church, Minneapolis, MN.
- March 18 & 25, 2012 - 2:30 PM - continuo organist - St. Peter Choral Society (Bach: St. John Passion) - Church of St. Peter, St. Peter, MN (18th) and St. Agnes Catholic Church, Madison, Lake, MN (25th).
- Summer, 2011 - Retired from Gustavus Adolphus College
- Performances in 2000-2010
- Bach Cycle - Spring 2000
- Performances in 1999
Last edited: May 2013