We still have some active contests.
If your entry meets our exacting standards for cleverness,
we'll publish the result, and send you the coveted
PonH dental care kit.
- Philosopher Laureate (from Vol. V, no. 4) -- To win, suggest
events or roles for local philosophers laureate.
Win or not, you'll advance the cause! Reader
contributions so far: Spring 2003
- Calendar of the Years Project (from Vol. VI, no. 1) -- How much more exciting
each year would be if you knew it was your
[insert famous character from history, literature
or the arts] year. For adolescents, there’d
be the Stephen Daedalus year. The Holden
Caulfield year. Adults? TheWilly Loman year.
The Mozart year. The Ishmael year.The Sylvia
Plath year. You get the idea. Help us create
a Calendar of the Years.
- Coastal Hair Designs (from Vol. IV, no. I) -- Add your own Coastal
Hair Designs to our list inspired by a down East beauty parlor.
- Cheap Ploys (from Vol. II, no. 2) -- What would your
favorite philosopher be used to hawk? Recall
that with Wittgenstein, it was tweed; with
Simone de Beauvoir, it was jeans.
- Tell us about an odd, inexplicable,
or unusual-sounding establishment (a business,
a museum, a roadside marker)
that you’ve seen when you were too busy
rushing from here to there to stop
and investigate. Then construct
your own hypothesis about what that establishment
is or does--the
more byzantine or unlikely the better.