Suggestions for Studying for Quiz 2
You may not use your calculator on this quiz.
Quiz #2 will cover trigonometry. A good way to study for this quiz is to do some of the review problems on pages 551-554 and pages 605-610.
You will be tested on your ability to:
- Find angles on a unit circle, using both degrees and radians.
- Given information about some of the angles and side lengths in a right triangle, find all of the angles and side lengths.
- Find exact values of trig functions for the standard angles.
- Given the graph of a periodic function, find the formula.
- Given the formula of a periodic function, sketch its graph.
- Do an applied trig problem - for example, find the height of a building or the width of a river.
You should be able to:
- Use exponent rules to simplify expressions,
- Simplify complex fractions,
- Factor polynomials,
- Do other algebraic manipulations,
- Understand functions,
- Use your calculator to graph functions and find values of functions.
Students who have taken MCS118/119 in the past suggest that the best ways to study are:
- Study frequently, in small doses.
- Do the homework every night.
- Go to class, pay attention, and ask questions.
- Read the text sections to be covered before and after class.
- Use office hours and tutors.