Need a recommendation?
If you have asked me to write a letter of recommendation for you,
please give me a folder containing:
- a copy of your personal statement (if applicable)
- all necessary forms
- stamped, addressed envelopes
Also send me (by email, or include in your folder) answers to the
- What is your name, year and major
- What are you applying for? (scholarship, grad school, etc.)
- List the programs to which you are applying together with due
- How long have I known you? Have you ever graded or tutored
for me? If so, for what classes and when?
- Which of my classes did you take? When? What grades
did you get? How did you distinguish yourself in my classes?
- How would you describe yourself?
- What are some of your academic accomplishments?
- What are some of your non-academic accomplishments?
- What makes me particularly qualified to write a letter for you?
- What makes you particularly qualified for this
- What are your long-term goals and will this position/honor/award
help? If so how?
- Additional comments (REU;s summer research, interesting jobs,
Be sure to allow at least two weeks for me to write the letters
(slightly more, if it's a busy time of the semester) and make sure that
I write the due dates in my calendar.
Thanks to Michael Orrison, Harvey Mudd College, for questions and
instructions (and the whole idea).