Office hours and other useful information Following is information about when I am available and how you can contact me:
|Office hours:||See my schedule|
I am also available by appointment or when my door is open.
Text: Complex Variables and Applications, seventh edition by Brown and Churchill.
World Wide Web: I will maintain a course homepage that will
contain links to all course handouts for the course. The URL for this
which you may want to save as a bookmark in your web browser.
Reading schedule and coverage: I hope to cover at least the first eight chapters of the text. You should check the schedule of the readings to find out what we will be covering in a given class period. I will expect you to read through the reading before coming to class. Please note that this schedule will be perpetually updated.
Homework: I will generally be collecting homework on Mondays, with perhaps a few exceptions. You should check the homework on the homework page I will be maintaining. Please note that the assignments are due at the beginning of the class and no late homework will be accepted. I will, however, drop the two lowest assignments.
I expect all written work that you submit to be clear, correct, neat, and in complete sentences. Mathematical exposition should be convincing and interesting, and I expect you to strive for these qualities in your work in this course.
Exams: We will have 3 or 4 class (and/or take-home) exams plus the regularly scheduled final. I will be sure to announce the exams at least a week ahead of time.
Determination of course grade: The homework will be 25% of the grade, with the exams and final being the remaining 75%. I will count quizzes as half the value of a regular exam and the final as one and a half times the value of each of the other exams. If necessary, I will scale the homework and exam scores. I will be happy to discuss how you are doing in the course at any time.
Honor: Students are encouraged to discuss the course, including issues raised by the assignments. However, you should write up the final solution on your own, and please acknowledge any substantive contribution to your solution by another person or taken from a publication; failure to do so is plagiarism and will necessitate disciplinary action. Also, I may designate certain assignments as "non-discussable".