Buy and wear a helmet! This is the single most important thing you need for mountain biking. Helmets have saved countless lives. It is not cool not to wear one.
Wear sunscreen. It's easy to lose track of how long you're biking. Apply sunscreen whenever you think about it; we all know the dangers of sunburns.
Popular Places to go Mountain Biking:
- Bakerville Loveland Valley Trail Mountain Bike Trail
- Silver Plume, CO
- It's 12 miles almost all downhill and kids love it. Great trail for beginners. It's going to be paved soon, so the soft surface won't be there for much longer. This is a great trail for those who love to ride, without much pedaling.
- Whitetail Ridge Mountain Bike Trail
- River Falls, WI
- The trail has some nice climbs with some tight spots and tough roots to navigate trough. There are some nicely place rock piles. The bridges on the trail almost look like professionally engineered items. Rumor has it, the club that built it is adding a teeter and other items. This would be a track for those with a little more experience, or those up to a challenge. It's a singlewide trail that is one way.
- Elm Creek Park Mountain Bike Trail
- Maple Grove, MN
- Highly recommended for beginner to expert, this newer trail (built in 2011) has excellent flow and bypasses around every obstacle. I have had pro level riders and 1st year riders easily handle the expert loops. Excellent in all aspects, wish it was 10 miles longer. This is a great trail for the whole family.
Intermediate and Expert Trails:
- Mountkato Ski Resort
- Mankato, MN
- This regional resort is perfect for the location it's in. If you're close by, it's definately worth a visit. They offer anywhere from beginner to expert as most all ski resort do in the summer. There is a small cover charge for lifts but it's nothing major. Good value.
- Memorial Park Mountain Bike Trail
- Red WIng, MN
- Here's a review of an expert rider: "I rode this trail only once before it was closed for winter. To describe it shortly I'll say you won't get bored there. It has everything for every skill level. And with all those breathtaking views easily could become next IMBA Epic Trail. Definitely one of the best trails near Twin Cities. If you live in Minneosta, definately hit it up." Not to shabby eh?
- Golden Gate Canyon State Park Mountain Bike Trail
- Golden, CO
- Recomended for expert riders only. Lots of technical trail, hardly anyone there ever. If ever near Golden, CO, worth a visit. One of the best trails I've ever ridden. Fun, fast, dangerous. Great scenery. Nature everywhere.